Although Oxford Female Academy and Oxford Female Institute operated nominally separate institutions for short periods, they are considered to be part of Oxford Female College, which opened in 1854. Oxford Female Academy was incorporated in 1839 and operated into the 1840's. Chartered in 1849 as a successor to the Academy, Oxford Female Institute merged with Oxford Female College in 1867. The institution subsequently operated under various names: Oxford Female College (1867-85); Oxford Female Institute College and Musical Institute (1886); Oxford Female College and Conservatory of Music and Art (a887); Oxford College for Young Ladies, and Conservatory of Music and Art (1889-89); Oxford College, and College of Music, Art and Oratory (1901); Oxford College (1903-06); and Oxford College for Women (1907-28). The college merged with Miami University in 1928.