Western College Underground Railroad in Oxford, Ohio Collection Edit

Summary

Identifier
030 UNDER

Dates

  • 1900-2014 (Creation)

Extents

  • 6.00 Items (Whole)
  • 6.00 Items (Whole)

Agent Links

Subjects

Notes

  • Abstract

    Collection of materials related to the Underground Railroad in Oxford, Ohio.

  • Arrangement

    Set of compact discs.

    Underground Railroad in Oxford, Ohio

    (Six compact discs)

    Six Compact Discs:

    • “Borderlands Pp: Underground Railroad” CD • “Jones Sheard House: Underground Railroad” CD • “Underground Railroad in Oxford, Ohio PowerPoint” CD • “Underground Railroad PowerPoint” CD • “Underground Railroad PowerPoint” CD • “Underground Railroad PowerPoint” CD

  • Conditions Governing Access

    Materials do not circulate and may only be used in the archives.

  • Conditions Governing Use

    Permission to publish, quote or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

  • Other Descriptive Information

    http://westernarchives.lib.miamioh.edu/show_content.php?unique_id=86

  • Biographical or Historical Information

    Western College was founded in 1853 as the 'western' representation of Mt. Holyoke in Massachusetts, with its dual vision of missionary zeal and low-cost yet high-quality education for women. Strongly supported by the leaders of the Presbyterian Church of Oxford, classes at the Western Female Seminary began in 1855 with Helen Peabody, a Mt. Holyoke graduate, as principal.

    In 1888, Western was moving toward becoming accredited as a College and chose Leila S. McKee, a Wellesley graduate, as the new principal. In 1894, Western became "The Western: A College and Seminary for Women;" in 1904, the word "seminary" was dropped and Western became "The Western College for Women."

    For the next fifty years, Western remained a general liberal arts college, primarily under the presidency of William W. Boyd. With the arrival of President Herrick B. Young in 1954, an international focus began. Many international students and faculty were recruited, international travel seminars were instituted, and a global emphasis was added to the curriculum.

    In 1970, an innovative interdisciplinary approach to education called "Freedom with Responsibility" was initiated under the leadership of President William C. Spencer. Another new direction was the decision in 1971 to admit men.

    Faced with major financial difficulties, Western College closed in 1974 and the physical facilities merged with Miami University.

  • Scope and Contents

    Comprised of oral history interviews and powerpoint presentations.

External Documents

Instances

  • Type
    Text
    Container 1 Type
    Box
    Container 1 Indicator
    1

Components